Friday, February 16, 2007

I'm weakening. First it was the idea that I should get some pretty lace for Valentine's Day, which of course means pretty stuff to knit pretty lace with. I'd hoped that Bill would volunteer to buy me some, but of course that didn't happen. He did get me something really neat that I wasn't expecting, but no yarn. And I can't blame him because he doesn't know that I'm not buying myself yarn now and probably assumes that if I want something that desperately I'll buy it myself.

I spent drooled over the Knitpicks catalog, but had enough restraint and self control not to order anything right now. Birthday yarn is allowed, so if I wait another month and a half, I can get my yarn without breaking the rules.

And now Joann's has Keepsake Calico on sale. I'd really like to go out and buy some pretty new fabric, especially since I've got a stack of quilting books from the library full of quilts I want to make. But I've got pretty fabric upstairs and I actually found quite a few yards of absolutely fantastic stuff I had never laid eyes on before when I was picking out colors for the Dresden Plates (it was in a box from a garage sale that I thought was full of scraps but actually had quite a few big cuts of actual quilt shop stuff. I can make quilts with what I've got.

There's a whole list of reasons I could use to justify buying myself some goodies, but if I start to cheat now, I'll keep cheating. And I'm very proud of myself for sticking with the Knit from Your Stash thing this long. It's been One Month, Two Weeks, and Four Days since I bought ANY Yarn or Fabric!!!! I've got a countdown on my computer and the number of days left until I can buy yarn and fabric is steadily shrinking. I can almost see myself making it the whole way through!

I did three more rows on my Swallowtail Shawl last night. The lily of the valley border isn't nearly as complicated as I thought it would be, but I have to concentrate more than I did on the budding lace section. So no knitting when the kids are in the room. That's going to slow down my progress quite a bit.

swallowtail


This is SO fun! I'm already making mental lists of the triangular shawl patterns I own and matching them up with yarn. But I can't forget all of those glorious rectangles in Victorian Lace Today.... Now do you see why I've got such a need to order more laceweight?

I also have a sudden, overwhelming need to learn how to do hairpin lace. This is incredible. I think I might actually have one of the frame thingies that belonged to my Great Grandma Walters. If I don't, Mom or Grandma must. And there's a free tutorial. So I could learn to do the hairpin lace, lose some more weight, and be all ready to buy the pattern and some yarn in September.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Very nice knitting! I can't wait to see the swallowtail shawl. It looks so lovely on the pattern.

Unknown said...

I love the color . . . is rasberry or something? Very nice.

I have a hairpin lace thing too, I think. My Mom taught me how to do it once upon a time. I made a baby afghan for one of my sisters' kids. I couldn't explain to anyone how to do it because its been such a long time. I do remember that it was a lovely, frothy kind of thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails