Friday, August 03, 2007

"Show and Tell Friday"




The first thing that jumped to mind when I stumbled across Show and Tell Friday last week was my great-grandma's sock monkey, which I've been wanting to post about for a while now.



Grandma Walters made everything. She covered bars of soap with straight pins and sequins and beads to make glittery swans. She made little baskets from safety pins and those three sided beads that nest together. She crocheted afghans and intricate little doll dresses. She dried apples into wrinkled brown doll heads that gave me the creeps.

And when sock monkeys were the big thing, she made a sock monkey. I don't know if she made more than one, or who she made this little guy for. He didn't make it into my custody until a few years ago, but I know he was around when I was a kid.

I got curious about when she might've made him and did some Googling -- Wikipedia answered most of my questions. I'd just bet that Grandma's monkey was inspired by the Pack O Fun leaflet. She made a lot of things from that magazine.

There's a pattern online, and, according to the manufacturer's website, they sell the red heel socks at the same place we buy our chicken feed.

5,000 Gram Update

The plan was not to buy any more yarn until I'd used up 5000 grams of my stash. It's been three months and I'm at about 2400 grams. That's almost halfway there!

I can't figure out how I made it through so much yarn last month. It didn't feel like I was knitting a lot, but somehow I guess I did.

5 comments:

Susan said...

One of my friends mother use to make the dolls out of the socks. I always thought they were cute.
Susan

Reviekat said...

I love seeing your gramma's old sock monkey! She sounds like a very industrious and creative person.

Carole Burant said...

What an adorable sock monkey, made more special because your grandma made it!! I remember my mom telling me stories of how they use to make puppets and such with old work socks when she was a little girl:-) xo

Barbara H. said...

I had one of those monkeys when I was a kid! He was one of my favorite toys.

I love your grandmother's creativity in trying different crafts.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Kelli said...

What a cute little monkey! A sweet treasure for sure!
Kelli

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails