Saturday, February 14, 2009

I need to make a quilt for a friend who's been having a rough time. Actually, far worse than a "rough time," but that description will do here. I need to make the quilt quickly and was thinking through my tops, trying to decide if that blue bargello was good enough, with another friend telling me that it was a great quilt and to go ahead and use it, and me reminding myself how disappointed I was with those fabric choices...

And then I saw the quilt I needed to make. I've been calling it a vision, but that doesn't sound right when I type it here. It wasn't a great spiritual revelation, just a crystal clear image of the fabrics and pattern I want to use. Not fabrics I actually owned at the time, but the fabric I wanted to go out and buy.

Joann's had the right fabrics.



Joann's NEVER has the right fabrics. I always go in there looking for some cheerful tiny prints, or something similarly vague and come out empty handed. But this time, even though I had something very specific in mind, they had it. It's never that easy.

I hoped to get the top cut and pieced in four days. While Bill took a nap this morning, I got the whole thing cut out and a bunch of piecing done. I think by the time he gets back from pricing telephone wire I might have half of the blocks.

There's not a doubt in my mind that this quilt isn't meant to be.

1 comment:

Alison said...

You do such beautiful work. My mom's a quilter, too. Love those blues!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails