Monday, March 07, 2011

a little bit of a binge

I knew I'd have some quilting time yesterday and thought I might be able to piece the blocks for two lap quilts. Everything was cut except for the white background pieces and they go together pretty quickly once I've got a chance to sit down at the sewing machine.

There was an Indiana Jones marathon on USA and my boys watched all four movies back to back. I could go a very long time without hearing the music again.

By early evening, all seventy blocks were pieced. I'm hoping to assemble the tops before the kids get out of bed tomorrow morning.



And while I was piecing the blocks, which are everything-but-the-kitchen-sink scrappy, I wasn't happy with the way the fabrics were playing together. It's not a problem with the fabrics and the quilts will look fine when they're done. It's just that I've used some of these same prints in dozens of little quilts now and I'm tired of seeing them. Once I stick some new-to-me prints in my box of 2 1/2" squares, I'll be inspired by them all over again.

What I wanted to try yesterday was the same quilt, but controlled scrappy with only dark traditional prints. So I cut a new batch of squares. And while I was at it, I cut 1 1/2" strips for that bin (which is going to be a pineapple quilt when I work up the nerve) and 2x5" pieces for a rail fence quilt like the one I gave away. I miss that one now and then, so I thought doing a similar lap quilt would get it out of my system for a while. Either that, or convince me to make another big one for me.



I cut dark fabrics from a thrift store scrap bag I found a few weeks back and was very good about cutting what I grabbed instead of saving it for a future special project. Most of them will wind up in the pineapple quilt anyway.

It was all going great until I picked up my copy of Adventures with Leaders & Enders to see what size squires I'd need to cut for Rick Rack Nines and saw that Texas Braid (which was my whole justification for buying the book) uses 2x5" strips.

Guess I won't be doing that easy rail fence after all. And that I've got a whole heck of a lot more pieces to cut!

This morning, I'm drooling over the cute little girl knits at Aesthetic Nest. Especially this one, which there's a free pattern for. I think I want to knit it for my sister's little one.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails