Tuesday, November 22, 2011

wfmw - a warm bathrobe

We've lived in a series of old houses, each one a bit older than the last. There was the rental, an awesome little mid-century modern place that I wish I had more pictures of. After that, we bought a a house that had been built in 1944. It was old enough to have plenty of quirks, but not old enough to be neat. Now, we've got a ninety year old farmhouse.

This time of year, I start paying attention to whether or not I can feel my toes. I don't think the boys slow down enough to ever feel the cold, inside or out.

It was fall of 2005 when we moved in and by the time it was cold enough to turn the furnace on for the year, all Hell had broken loose. I was in the hospital, both houses had been broken into, and we were still trying to finish up the move from there to here and sell the other house. The furnace got turned on, we installed a brand new monoxide detector, and we didn't think much about it until the next gas bill came. Keeping this house really warm would cost more than we're willing to spend. So we bundle up.

Almost exactly a year ago, I wrote a post mourning my old bathrobe. My husband bought me a replacement for Christmas, and I bought a second replacement when I found it for five bucks at the thrift store a couple of months later.

I still wish I had kept that old purple robe. But the ones I've got now do the job. And I'm still keeping my eyes open for my dream robe. Sooner or later, I'll find it. (It may or may not be purple.)

It makes more sense to me to stock up on warm robes and quilts and socks than to spend extra money trying to keep the house a certain temperature. And it doesn't hurt that I'm finally off the blood thinners! Which also means I can have cranberries at Thanksgiving dinner and stop limiting my green veggies. Life, or at least this part of it, is good!

This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT family.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We lived in a 1930 house. Warm robes and quilts are key... I enjoyed your post :-)

Traci Michele said...

comfy comfy! http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/11/make-this-simple-coffee-filter-wreath.html

Ayshela said...

if you can wear wool, Sock Dreams has some lovely warm socks (including bed socks!) and free shipping. I can't, and I remember in a much colder house layering socks and wearing leggings under EVERYthing. Hope you find your dream robe soon! My much loved one is wearing thin and I refuse to even think about having to replace it, because we can't. We've looked.
*nods* I hear ya.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails