Monday, January 27, 2014

Quick and Easy (and temporary!) Light Box Substitute

I don't do enough tracing to justify purchasing a light box, not when I've got perfectly good windows and a perfectly good table with a glass top. And now I've got this --


The table I usually use has a shallow drawer, so I turn my Kindle fire to the highest brightness setting and set the browser to a site with a white background and little text, put it in the drawer, and lay  what I'm tracing onto the glass.  If I'm tracing something detailed, I also set the screen timeout to longer than a couple of minutes. (At least I should. Usually I forget and wind up tapping the screen every time it dims.)

When it was time to chart the letter for Teenage Daughter's sweater, I wondered if the same trick would work with one of my clear storage boxes. It does -- with the added bonus that I don't have to keep the kids away  from the table until I'm done tracing, or sit on the floor next to the table!

This post is linked to Craft-O-Maniac, WFMW, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Think Tank Thursday.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I was so lucky to find a very new looking light box, still in it's original packaging for 5 dollars with 25% off at my local thrift store. I never would have bought a new one otherwise. What a great idea for a substitute!

Terri in BC said...

If you can download a flashlight app, that works well too! And it shouldn't time out on you either. Thanks for sharing your idea, I'll have to try that.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Brilliant! Especially on these short days when I forgetting to do my tracing at the window before dark.

Swedish Scrapper said...

Fabulous idea that I will keep in mind! I usually need a light source for seeing seam allowance when I am paper piecing, and I have a large desk lamp with a magnifying glass (it has a circular tube) that has so much light I never seem to reply on daylight or a window, but just the project up to the light.....

Jo said...

Great Idea Michelle!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails