Wednesday, April 22, 2015

{Yarn Along} My Constant Companion



My Constant Companion, a bag from the book Knitter's Stash, was one of the first knitting patterns I fell in love with. Later, I saw a shop sample somewhere and fell even more head-over-heels....And then I made a whole bunch of other things and forgot about it. This week, I finally cast on. I don't have enough yarn to do it as written, so I scaled it down a bit and have my fingers crossed.





House of Echoes by Brendan Duffy is one of those creepy books about a family who moves to an isolated small town, hoping for a better life. The wife is struggling with her own emotions. The oldest boy spends hours wandering through the forest that surrounds the mansion that his parents are working to convert into an inn. And the father is working on a book based in part on the historical documents he found in the basement.  Those are a whole bunch of familiar elements, but in this book they all work, without sounding like every other book I've read about a family moving to a small town where the traditions are just a little strange.













The Lie by C. L. Taylor tells the story of Jane Hughes, a woman who works at an animal sanctuary and of Emma Woolfe, a young woman on a dream vacation with her best friends. Jane and Emma are the same woman and this is the story of how she survived that nightmarish trip, which took the lives of two other women, and became Jane. The chapters alternate between the retreat in Nepal and Jane's life in the present where she's just become aware that someone knows her secret. I enjoyed the book, but I was hoping for more. The most chilling scene had nothing to do with either storyline.

For more pretty knitting projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times.


  Disclosure - The publishers provided me with ARCs.

3 comments:

Desiree said...

I love that colorway. My fingers are crossed too!

Lucy Bowen said...

I'm sure the scaling down will work, it's such a gorgeous colour.

Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

Good for you! That was the first or second thing I made out of that book, many years ago and I remember it being relatively easy to modify. I like my bag a lot. I use it more for storage than as a constant companion, but I do like it still.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails