Thursday, June 18, 2015

One of My Favorite Estate Sale Finds

There are estate sales and purchases that stand out in my memory. Every time we drive to visit my parents, we pass the house where we bought the old sleeping bags that Hubby and I use when we camp, even though we've got newer fancier ones. And every time I notice that place, I smile at the memory.  

One of my favorite estate sale stories dates to long before I started blogging. It was in an old house near downtown Salem. (I couldn't tell you which house it was, but I'm guessing it was one that's been torn down to make way for office buildings.) It was one of those sales where the person had lived their for decades and the family is just trying to get rid of the accumulation. 


Up in the attic was a pile of dresses, definitely vintage, most probably dating from the fifties and sixties. With my tiny baby girl in my arms and that gorgeous stash of little dresses, all priced at twenty-five cents each, I did the only sensible thing.

I bought them all, brought them home and washed them, then hung them on the clothesline and took a picture. It's not a good picture, but this was in 1997 and I was using the cheap little 110 camera that I loved because I didn't have to learn to actually load film into it. Right now, I'm just happy that there is a picture, because it makes it possible for me to share the story.


Alex wore the dresses and added some stains and tears and they probably got donated somewhere along the line. If I found them today, I'd still buy them and wash them and hang them on the clothesline, but I might be more hesitant to wear them out.

This post is linked to Share Your Cup, Vintage Inspiration ,

2 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

I love it. Hope to see the dresses a bit closer.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a fabulous story and I love seeing them hanging there all in a row! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails