Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Antique Store Temptations


When I found the pattern for the Garden Party Quilt, I started watching the thrift stores for old embroidery. Not because I wanted to make my quilt with other people's stitchery the way the designer intended, but because I wanted to take a closer look at it and see how my own work compared. 

For ages, I didn't find anything interesting. Then I found an absolute ton of it, all at the same antique mall. One of my favorites is this little embroidered family that I almost missed. My attention was caught by that awful teddy/monkey/thing on the left hand side of the picture. It wasn't until I pulled out my camera that I noticed the parents and child. 

I love these! And I'm curious about them. Great Grandma Walters left behind a bunch of fabric painted girls in international costumes. Mom and I made them into little stuffed pillows. I wonder if this little family was always intended to be stuffed, or if they were meant for something else and made into little pillows later.

If the ones we made were still around, I'd be taking them apart and appliqueing them onto a quilt. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails