Wednesday, August 23, 2017

{Yarn and Books} Super Scary Sock Fest and Some New Thrillers

After completely failing at Sock Madness this spring, I've got higher hopes for Super Scary Sockfest. The pregame pattern is out and this is all stuff I can do! 


It's the first time I've done a toe up sock with a gusset and heel flap...I think. It's absolutely the first time I've done a heel like this one. But I did it and now I'm working my way through the twisted stitches on the leg.

There's still time to sign up over on Ravelry if you want to join us in knitting socks inspired by scary movies. It's a competition, but you can knit at your own pace and pick which of the patterns you want to do, unlike some of  the other competitive sock knitting events.



99 Red Balloons by Elisabeth Carpenter

The intertwined stories of two missing girls kept me guessing, but there were too many different voices telling the tale. Three adult women, and a missing girl, and the man who took her... I managed to keep them all straight, but it was like watching the story unfold from a distance.  This is one of those books that makes you work to piece together exactly what's going on.



Lies She Told by Kate Holahan

There are two thrillers unfolding here, the one that Liza Jones is writing to meet a deadline and the one that she is living. Both stories kept me turning pages to see what would become of the characters. Chapters alternate between the fictional author's life and the book she's writing, but it was always clear which of the two stories I was reading and I didn't come close to figuring it all out.

Disclosure -- I was provided with an advance review copies by the publishers. All opinions are my own. This post is linked to Crazy Mom Quilts , Wrap up Friday iknead2knit, and  Frontier Dreams  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails